Day 6- March 20

 

Paula:

Saturday was pretty interesting! Half of us went to LA Catholic Worker where we did a lot of work not only in the kitchen but outside too! We interacted a lot with the people who were at the garden, and I must say, some of them have pretty interesting stories and I’m so glad that I was able to help them in different ways, in this case by listening what they wanted to tell me. I didn’t talk to a lot of people like my friends but I’m glad that I was able to work there. I know that the other half decided to stay at the house, and they did a great work! The house was clean and both groups managed to get a great time J.

After that, the day was kind of slow. We decided to visit the Griffith Observatory and it was amazing! I’m not the biggest fan of astrology but the explanations of the different telescopes and the views of Los Angeles left me speechless. We also ate some donuts outside and they were really tasteful!

Overall, I think Saturday was an amazing day, not only because of the service that we did but also it taught me a lesson of how I should be more considerate to people and that even the simplest action such as listening to them can make an impact in their life (a positive one). And of course, that we can balance work and fun in one day!

 











Noelani:

 

On the contrary, the other half of the group stayed at the house to do some much needed cleaning. Many of us that were chosen to stay were not feeling too awesome given the thickness and fogginess of the LA air, so it was decided that some of the people should just rest for a couple of hours. Truth be told, it was incredible to my own healing process after having lost my voice for many days.

 

As soon as I awoke, it was time to cook. The humble kitchen was buzzing with activity. People were stirring pots, cutting vegetables, singing songs, and some were just having a sip of water to drink. But two meals were being prepared, the first was fried rice from the Chaminade University team, and the second was an array of Hispanic based dishes from the St. Mary’s University team. So many intersecting ingredients (and in most cases colorful vegetables), were passed along the kitchen space.

 

The evening time was reserved for Griffiths Park, coincided with the famous Griffiths Observatory. For some strange reason, Tesa managed to buy a Brett Young shirt, as there was a concert going on at the same time we arrived on the hill to the top of the park. Originally $20, she managed to persuade the man for $15, and called it a day, all from the backseat of the car.

 

Now at the top of the observatory, it was incredibly foggy that night. To most people, that would be a disappointment. But to me, it was almost nicer than it would be if the stars had been fully present. It was able to provide an experience that I would not have been able to get back home, as we do not have thick, looming fog. But with the nighttime sky and the sunset, there was also the cold. The cold was, well cold. Coming from a tropical island, that is not something I really could have anticipated for, and boy did I feel it.

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8-May 22

Day 1 - May 16th